Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Egg Glider

Our group doesn't have an idea but I guess we'll all come up with our own and bring it together soon. I'm not too familiar with aerodynamics and things like that, but from what I remember, I know that it has to be shaped somewhat like a paper airplane or a kite. I'm guessing that a point at the front (which the both the kite and paper airplane have) is something that will help with the egg glider's ability to glide. Last but not least, I know for a fact that both sides have to be symmetrical in order for it to glide straight.


But from what I've briefly researched on Google, aerodynamics is something designed to minimize the drag as an object moves through gas or liquid.
Now you may ask, "What does drag mean?"
Drag is air resistance or friction, where it slows down the object as it moves through gas or liquid.


So I guess my ideas are like a kite or a plane with the sheet of newspaper as the "wing" or surface area and the straws as supports. Now for the real question, how will the egg be protected while still allowing the glider to glide...? Maybe some sort of cone made out of the straws so that when the cone hits the ground, the force will transfer from the tip of the cone and pass right around the egg to the end of the cone. But I don't have a clue as to how to make that support aerodynamic as well. Maybe there is no way.



No comments:

Post a Comment